Standard Spring Loaded Engraving Tools™: 3/4″ and 20 mm Diameters
Reduce Set Up Times and Engraving Cycle Times Up Uo 84%
Engrave Flat, Curved and Uneven Surfaces Faster With the Spring Loaded Engraving Tool Part Marking System
Engrave Flat, Curved & Uneven Surfaces
Engrave With A CNC Machine
Use for Rotating or Drag Engraving
Engrave Practically Any Material
Decrease Set Up Times
Decrease Cycle Times up to 84%
Improve Tool Bit Life
Engrave Text, Logos, Lines, Numbers & More
2L Spring Loaded Engraving Tools™ simplify engraving, part marking, etching and scribing of parts when using a CNC Milling Machine, Router, and many other Industrial and Engraving Equipment or Machines.
The Spring Loaded Engraving Tool compensates for variations in the surface of the engraved part to provide consistent engraving on flat, curved, and uneven surfaces.
Dramatically reduce engraving cycle and set up times using a Spring Loaded Engraving Tool.
- Compensates for Surface Irregularities: Spring loaded design allows tool bit to float with variations in the material surface which allows for a more consistent engraving.
- Engrave with your CNC Machine: Machine and engrave a workpiece in the same CNC Machine, eliminating the need for additional engraving or marking equipment.
- Engrave Many Materials: Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Steels, Plastic, Brass, Glass, and more.
- Reduce Set Up Times: Reduce set up times using the same machine for machining and engraving.
- Dramatically Reduce Engraving Cycle Times up to 84%: Reduces engraving cycle times dramatically by rapid operation of the tool into the part, reducing slow feed.
- Use for Rotary Engraving: Create a wide range of depth and width of engraved letters, lines, logos and serial numbers using different Solid Carbide Engraving Tool Bit styles, angles and tip widths.
- Use for Drag and Scratch Engraving and Scribing: Diamond Tip and Carbide Point Engraving Tools create fine, detailed, shallow engraving.
- Designed for High Volume, High Speed Production Engraving.
View complete product details.
View all options and pricing.
* The 2L Spring Loaded Engraving Tool is covered by U.S. Patents 6,834,434, 7,093,368, and 7,607,871.
3/4″ Standard Spring Loaded Engraving Tool
Part No. 10870
Max RPM. 10,000
20 mm Standard Spring Loaded Engraving Tool
Part No. 10871
Max RPM. 10,000
3/4″ and 20 mm Diameter Standard Spring Loaded Engraving Tools
Max RPM. 10,000
Engrave Flat, Curved and Uneven Surfaces with a Spring Loaded Engraving Tool
Each Spring Loaded Engraving Tool is sold in a Kit, that includes everything you need to get started engraving.
- 1 – Spring Loaded Engraving Tool Holder (3/4″ or 20 mm shank dia.).
- 1 – Light Spring.
- 3/16″ Integrated Collet to hold tool bits.
- Hex Wrench.
- Collet Nut Wrenches.
- Solid Carbide Engraving Tool Bit, Part No. C-1875×2.0-60-.020-G. This is a V shaped tool bit with 60 degree included angle, and .020″ tip width for harder materials.
- Sturdy storage case.
- Complete instructions.
- Free download of the 2L PRO Light Engraving Software Program. See details of PRO Engraving Programs.
- Two diameters available: 3/4″ (0.750″) diameter or 20 mm (.787″).
- These Standard Spring Loaded Engraving Tools fit in a Collet or End Mill Holder.
- Provides .40″ of travel to the tool bit.
- Use for rotary engraving, or drag/scratch engraving.
- 10,000 Maximum RPM.
- 0 – 10,000 RPM speed range.
- Designed for high volume, high speed production engraving.
- Integrated Collet holds 3/16″ diameter tool bits.
- Additional Collets are available to hold 1/8″, 1/4″, 4 mm & 6 mm diameter tool bits.
- Engrave or mark most materials of various hardness.
- Use 2L Solid Carbide Engraving Tool Bits for maximum performance.
See the Spring Loaded Engraving Tool in action on our YouTube Channel here.
Each Spring Loaded Engraving Tool is sold in a Kit, which includes everything needed to get started engraving with your CNC machine.
Each Kit Includes:
- 3/4″ (0.75″) or 20 mm diameter Standard Spring Loaded Engraving Tool Holder.
- Light Force Spring – Part No.: 10045.
- 3/16″ Collet for tool bits – Part No.: 10874.
- Collet Nut Wrenches – Part No.: 10049.
- Hex Wrench for the Spring Retaining Screw – Part No.: 10051.
- Solid Carbide Engraving Tool: 3/16″ diameter engraving tool, .020″ tip width – Part No.: C-1875×2.0-60-.020-G.
- Complete Instructions for use.
- Sturdy reusable plastic storage case.
- The 2L PRO Light Engraving Software Program (download version) with one 2L Single Line Engraving Font is included FREE OF CHARGE.
Engraving Flat, Curved and Uneven Surfaces:
- Spring loaded design compensates for uneven or curved material surfaces.
- .40″ of travel to the Tool Bit compensates for variations in the material surface and varying part height.
- Constant pressure is applied to the engraving tool bit as it moves over the surface being engraved.
- Tool bit floats back and forth within the Tool Holder to move over inconsistencies in the part.
- Slight surface variations from part to part no longer create illegible engraving.
- It is not critical that the part being engraved is perfectly flat on the machine table.
Engrave Using A CNC Machine:
- Use the CNC milling equipment you already have for marking and engraving parts.
- Machine and Engrave using the same machine.
- No need for dedicated engraving machines or marking systems.
- No need to move a part from one machine to another to engrave on a separate machine.
Reduce Set Up and Engraving Cycle Times Up To 84%:
- Dramatically reduce engraving cycle times up to 84% by Rapid Tool (G0) into the part and correct use of our suggested increased feed rates (instead of slow feed).
- Set up times can be significantly reduced in production applications.
- As the Spring Loaded Engraving Tool compensates for height variations from part to part, there is no need to relocate each part when loaded into the CNC machine.
- Spring action creates a consistent depth of engraving across workpieces with height variations, eliminating the need to repeat engraving on low spots where engraving may have been missed with typical rigid tool engraving.
Improve Tool Bit Life:
- The spring loaded design allows the tool bit to float with the contour of the part.
- Possible breakage or wear is minimized when engraving inconsistent materials and workpieces.
- As the spring expands and contracts with varying material surfaces, high spots on workpieces are compensated for, improving tool life.
- The 3/4″ diameter and 20 mm diameter Spring Loaded Engraving Tools can be held in a Collet or End Mill Holder.
- Rotary engrave practically any material using a Spring Loaded Engraving Tool with Solid Carbide Engraving Tools.
- 2L Engraving Tool Bits are produced in many different styles, angles and tip widths which create a range of depths and widths of engraved letters, lines, logos and serial numbers.
2L Solid Carbide Engraving Tools can be used in a Spring Loaded Engraving Tool, as well as rigid tool holders.
If you are looking for longer tool life:
- Tough Tip Engraving Tool for Steels & Stainless Steel.
- Tough Tip Engraving Tool for Aluminum.
If you are looking for extremely clean engraving and greater depth of cut when using a Spring Loaded Engraving Tool:
- Standard Conical for Hard materials.
- Standard Conical for Soft Materials (recommended for Plastics).
View more tool bit recommendations here.
Feel free to contact us with Tool Bit Selection for optimum performance of your application.
Drag, Scratch Engraving and Scribing
- Hold stationary for Drag/Scratch Engraving and Scribing.
- Drag engraving creates thin, fine, shallow lines on a wide range of materials.
- Scribe hard materials such as Glass, Tile, Stainless Steel, Granite and softer materials such as Aluminum and Brass.
- Suggested Tool Bits: Diamond Tip and Carbide Point Engraving Tools which are available in many angles and tip widths.
Use the Right Tool Bit:
- 2L Designs, Tests, and Manufactures our Solid Carbide Engraving Tools in house.
- You can use many different types of engraving tools for your application.
- The type of engraving tool, angle and tip width used will affect the appearance of the engraved line.
- We have listed in order of preference a few of our popular tool bits with the materials each tool is most typically is used to engrave.
- These tables are for general reference to get you started.
- Determining the best tool bit for your application can require trying a few different Engraving Tools.
- Listed below are the most commonly used Engraving Tools with a Spring Loaded Tool and general recommendations.
- To see a complete list of our Engraving Tools and material uses go here.
|Most Commonly Used Engraving Tools With A Spring Loaded Engraving Tool|
|Hard Materials||Tough Tip Engraving Tool for Steels/Hard Materials||Standard Conical for Harder Materials||Single Flute Conical Ballnose||2 Flute Conical Ballnose|
|Cold Rolled Steel||1||2||3||4|
|Woods (Hard Woods)||——–||1||3||4|
|Soft Materials||Tough Tip Engraving Tool for Aluminum||Standard Conical for Softer Materials||Single Flute Conical Ballnose||2 Flute Conical Ballnose|
|Aluminum – Standard Anodized||2||1||3||4|
|Aluminum – Hard Coat Anodized||2||1||3||4|
|Acrylic – Engraving, 3D Engraving & Reverse |
|Plastics – Generic||3||1||2||4|
|Small Engraving (under .100″ Tall Letters)||Diamond Tip Engraving Tool||Carbide Point Engraving Tool|
|All Materials||Use in a Spring Loaded Engraving Tool |
with a Heavy Spring.
Which Spring to Use:
- Springs provide force against the tool bit.
- Stronger Springs apply greater force to the Tool Bit tip. Additional force affects depth of cut and tool life.
- A Light Tension Spring is included with each Spring Loaded Engraving Tool and is typically used for general engraving of Plastic, Brass, Aluminum, and mild Steels.
- An Extra Light Spring can be used to apply less force when engraving very soft Plastics.
- A Medium, Heavy, Extra-Heavy, or Extra-Extra Heavy Spring can be used to obtain greater depth of cut on Steels, Stainless Steel, Tool Steels, and many other hard materials.
Feel free to contact us for assistance in Spring selection for your application.
- Each 3/4″ diameter and 20 mm diameter Spring Loaded Engraving Tool Kit includes a 3/16″ integrated Collet.
- The 3/16″ Collet holds 3/16″ diameter Engraving Tools in the Spring Loaded Tool.
- Additional Collets are available to hold other diameter tools.
- 1/8″, 1/4″, 4 mm and 6 mm Collets are available separately.
Letter Height and Engraving Depth:
- Typical engraving of text height of 10 pts. (.085″) and larger is possible using a wide variety of standard engraving tool styles and sizes.
- When engraving letters with height of .125″ and smaller using a Spring Loaded Engraving Tool, we recommend an Engraving Tool with 60 degree angle and .010″ or .015″ tip width.
- When engraving letters larger than .125″, we recommend a 60 degree angle and tip widths of .020″ and greater.
- Engraving letters as small as .030″ high is possible using a Spring Loaded Engraving Tool with a 90 degree Carbide Point Engraving Tool and a Heavy Tension Spring.
- Typical depths of engraving that can be attained range from .002″ – .015″ per pass.
- Depth of engraving that can be attained varies and is dependent on the hardness of the material being engraved, strength of the Spring used, Engraving Tool Bit Style, and speeds and feeds.
- 2L produces many style and size Engraving Tool Bits for practically any application and material.
Feel free to contact us for assistance in selecting the optimum Engraving Tool Bit for your application.
When Precise Engraving Depth is Required:
- If exact engraving depth is required, use the optional Depth Control Engraving System.
- Depth Control Engraving system can control engraving depth in 0.001″ increments.
- The Nosepiece System is typically used and very effective when engraving very soft materials such as Plastics when using a Spring Loaded Engraving Tool.
Polish, Buff and Deburr:
- Use brushes and polishing wheels to polish, buff and deburr workpieces.
Free Engraving Software and More:
- The PRO Light Version of the 2L Engraving Software (download version) is provided FREE of charge with the purchase of a Spring Loaded Engraving Tool Kit.
- The 2L PRO Light Version converts any True Type font into standard G Code for engraving using CNC or milling machine.
- See 2L PRO LIGHT Features here.
For increased engraving software functionality, 2L offers several software programs and single line engraving fonts.
- 2L PRO 1 Version: 3 Axis engraving software – CAD/CAM engraving software program, serialize part #s, logos, drawing, etc.
- 2L PRO 2 Version: 3 & 4 Axis, C-Axis, and Multi-Axis Rotary Lathe engraving software – CAD/CAM engraving program for 3/4 axis and rotary lathes.
- 2L PRO 3 Version: 2D data matrix barcode engraving software – 2D data matrix barcodes, CAD/CAM, serial numbers.
- Single Line Engraving Fonts: for use with all the 2L Engraving Software Programs.
- Compare 2L PRO Features here.
You may also like…
- Single Flute
- Lasts Longer Engraving Aluminum, Brass, etc.
- Engrave: Aluminum, Brass, Copper, Zinc & More
Tough Tip Engraving Tool for Aluminum: For Max Tool Strength
Engraving Tool Starter Kits Set Of 6 Popular Engraving Tools
Control Engraving Depth with a Depth Control System
Collets For The Standard Spring Loaded Engraving Tools